Tuesday, April 16, 2013

From the Sunday New York Times

We subscribe to the Saturday and Sunday New York Times--the only paper I read on a regular basis. I often find articles or sometimes just tidbits of interest.

This past Sunday, I found two things in the magazine.

One is a word game, Getting to the Point. It's a series of letter pyramids: the first row has four, the second row has three, the third row has two, and the fourth row has one. The first pyramid has all the letters filled in; there are eight routes from the top row to the bottom row reached by words. Two pyramid have four letters filled in; two have two; three have two; two have only one letter. Letter banks are listed under each pyramid. I haven't tried it yet; it looks challenging--very challenging.

The second thing that intrigued me was part of this article: specifically its discussion of a quote from Carl Sandburg, "Poetry is the synthesis of hyacinths and biscuits." (Note: the quote in the article is slightly different and longer; I chose one I read on several websites.)

I go to a writers' retreat almost every year; many of the writers are poets. At first, I was intimidated to write poetry among so many deep poets. I eventually decided that I was just a different kind of poet. After reading this article, I'll call myself a biscuit poet.


No comments:

Post a Comment