Saturday, August 31, 2013

Glenda Farrell Day

On Thursday, Glenda Farrell was TCM's Star of the Day. I was in and out, but watched parts of several movies and recorded others. I'll watch the recorded ones gradually. (I still have one Bette Davis movie to watch from the 14th, so I'm not sure when I'll finish with Glenda's films.)

I was psyched at the opportunity to see (for the second time) Torchy Runs for Mayor: the last Torchy Blane film with the original leads, Glenda Farrell and Barton MacLane.

I liked Torchy fighting against political corruption. But it's not one of my favorites, mainly because of the silly ending. Torchy wins the election, but is distracted by a baby and tells Steve she wants to get married and seemingly runs out on her new job. (If I recall correctly, there's no mention of marriage in the final Torchy film, Torchy Blane Playing with Dynamite with Jane Wyman and Allen Jenkins.)

I also caught Fly Away Baby, the second Torchy film. I didn't quite get the race concept, but the film was still fun.

Kansas City Princess with Glenda, Joan Blondell and Pat O'Brien was another TCM choice. It was okay; I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more as a B film in a double feature.

More as I go through the films later.

No comments:

Post a Comment