Saturday, August 31, 2013

Unofficial End of Summer

It's  Labor Day weekend---the unofficial last weekend of summer.

I'm not exactly broken up. There are still about three weeks of official summer left. Fall is my favorite season. In about two weeks Jeff and I celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

But there's still a bittersweet feeling-- did I do enough summery things? We went to a few outdoor parties, including barbecues. We've had several nice dog park Fridays. Just yesterday, we celebrated one friend's birthday and another's new job over cocktails and appetizers there. We've enjoyed al fresco dining. We've taken a few hikes--not as many as I wanted--but fall is nicer for hiking anyway. We've gotten some great food from local farmers markets. We even had a summer getaway--a long weekend in Baltimore.

Last week my mother-in-law said that her summer was complete because she finally had a lobster roll. (I had one too.) This weekend I made a mojito salad--thinking that was some kind of summer marker. Unfortunately, I learned that jicamas are between seasons, but the salad is still good without jicama.

As summer moves into fall, I look forward to changes in the season without regretting what I could have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment