Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Our Baltimore Getaway

 My last post described how our weekend began...badly.

Spike's illness overshadowed the whole weekend. When we left him Friday to go out to dinner downtown, we didn't understand how sick he was. Jeff and I didn't leave him alone the rest of the weekend.

We still had fun. I went out to lunch and antiquing on Saturday afternoon. Jeff went on boat rides late Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We all went to a farmers' market and Druid Hill park on Sunday morning. Jeff's great, great grandfather was its Superintendent (or Supernintendo as Ralph Wiggum would say) after the Civil War. The Superintendent's House is undergoing a renovation; it will be beautiful when it's finished.

I enjoyed some crab cakes and fried green tomatoes in restaurants, and fresh donuts and a smoothie at the farmers' market. Jeff also brought me back a Polock Johnny's Polish sausage from a stop on one of his boat rides. We cooked for Sunday night's dinner: grilled steak, potatoes, salad, grilled vegetables and wine (the last two from the farmers' market.)

I was pleasantly surprised to find a familiar "face": Fat Tire Amber Ale in restaurants and liquor stores. We had a Fat Tire logo pint glass for years before we first tasted the beer: in the Denver airport during a stopover on a trip to Portland. We also drank Fat Tire on a trip to Phoenix. We hadn't had it in years.

Annette's house is on the water. When I was keeping Spike company, I sat out on her deck, wrote in my journal and watched boats, egrets, herons and other seabirds. I enjoyed the peace and the solitude.

I hope we get another opportunity to visit and don't wait for another 10 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment