Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Gratitude and Appreciation

Last week was a bad one: I was sick for two days; my cellphone stopped receiving new emails, and it took me four attempts with Internet/cellphone providers to correct it; our auto insurance premium increased by almost $400, and attempts to deal with that yielded mostly frustration. It snowed again on Wednesday morning--snow in late April! Most importantly, we had to make a decision about minor surgery for Spike.

Usually, after a week like that, I'd just complain about how bad things are.

Last week, I felt differently.

I'm rarely sick. Oh, there may be many days when I don't feel well, but I usually can take it easy for a day and recover. I felt so bad on Monday night, that I didn't even read or watch TV. It made me realize how lucky I am to take my health for granted.

Then there's all the time I spend online and on the phone about my cellphone and insurance problems. As frustrating as that was, at least I had the time to get on the phone and navigate all the menus and deal with customer service reps who ranged from useless to helpful.

Spike goes in for surgery on Friday. He'll be having a wart removed from the back of his neck. He's had it for well over a year. We've been watching it, and keeping it clean. It had  almost healed, but then Spike stared scratching it; it began bleeding again. The doctor agreed that it has to come off. We had extra blood and urine work done to make sure that Spike is healthy enough for the procedure. Since he'll be under, we'll also get his teeth cleaned. It's a little scary, but now that we've decided on the surgery, I can't wait until it's completed. I'm grateful that we can afford to take care of Spike. It would break our hearts if we couldn't do all that we can for him.

Finally, I'm grateful that winter is finally over. (Right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment