Friday, January 15, 2016

The Books on my Nightstand: Revisited

In October, I listed the books that I was reading. I finished the last one about two weeks ago.

Writing a Woman's Life is more of a scholarly work than the books I usually read. Reading it before bed is not the best way to approach this book. I had to go back and reread things. I enjoyed the discussion of Dorothy Sayers.

Rereading Film Noir The Dark Side of the the Screen was fun because I had been watching films noir this summer. But I skimmed it more than carefully read it.

I also skimmed  Hollywood Be Thy Name The Warner Brothers Story. The main thing I took from the book is that Jack Warner was an ass. It didn't have as much information about the stars (especially Bette Davis) as I would have liked.

I didn't care for Simply Southern. I stuck with it because it was a gift from my mother-in-law. Plus the author inscribed the book to me. The author's "good old girl" persona bugged me; the worst insult she could come up with was to call someone a Yankee.

Big Girls Don't Cry was the best of the bunch. It's a fascinating analysis of key women in the 2008 race: Hillary Clinton, Michele Obama, Sarah Palin and Elizabeth Edwards among others. I'll make sure to read more of Rebecca Traister's work.

Time to pick the next batch of books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment