Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Caught in a Downpour

Often when people ask me how much of a pain it is to walk a dog every day, I tell them that there are only a handful of days each year when it's really bad.

Today was one of those days.

It's been rainy, raw and dreary for three consecutive days. Lola is still too scared to walk on sidewalks. I take her out to the lawn for pee breaks, but need to take her to a park for a real walk. Today I planned our walk after my visit to the gym and before meeting my mother for lunch, based on weather forecasts that predicted stronger rains in the afternoon.

As we arrived at Cranbury Park, it was drizzling. I could deal with that. As we progressed along the blue trail, it rained harder; I pulled up my hood on my raincoat. We walked faster, winding our way along. It seemed to take much longer than usual to get to the the connecting trail that leads back to the parking lot.

The rain let up a bit, as we entered the dog field. I considered taking the longer route back. Luckily I didn't, because it started pouring as we hit the final leg of the trail. Back in the car, I cleaned the mud from Lola's legs and tummy with doggie wipes. I dried her as best I could with the towel from my trunk as the windshield de-fogged,

We arrived at my mother's wet and bedraggled. The rain had soaked through my coat, so it was a damp and uncomfortable lunch for me.

Nice to come home for dry clothes, hot chocolate and Lola snuggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment