Thursday, April 25, 2019

Book Seven: Shell Game

I finished this V.I. Warshawski book by Sara Paretsky on Tuesday night. As always--I've read all the V.I. books--I enjoyed the story. V.I. is smart, resourceful, brave, tenacious, loyal, and a strong feminist. I like that Paretsky used the current political environment of Trump's hatred of immigration and the transgressions of ICE agents (I really want to use the term run-amuckness.) What the hell, this is my blog--the run-amuckness of ICE agents.

One thing I particularly liked was when V.I. was discussing the reaction of her neighbor/friend Mr. Contreras when she spent the night with an archaeologist.

Mr. Contreras has never liked any man I've been involved with. I don't know if it was jealousy, or if he had an unacknowledged fear that I might marry and leave him in the lurch. I couldn't really imagine marrying again, but whether I did, I would never abandon him.

Could this be a hint of a new development?

I seem to remember that Mr. Contreras started off as more of an adversary. I think Peppy--the golden retriever who first appears in Bitter Medicine--the fourth book in the V.I. series--brought them together. V.I. and Mr. Contreras share Peppy and her son Mitch.

My only quibble with the series is that the bad guys are always wealthy, upper crust men. I'd like to see a poor bad guy every once in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment