Saturday, April 13, 2019

What a Week

OK, eight days since my last post. 

I finished tutoring for several students this week. A few took the Connecticut school SAT; some took today's ACT; some poor folks took both.

I finished my writing course, Hidden Stories. I really enjoyed it. I may start another course next week with the same instructor. That would be my third  course with her. She's very supportive; she doesn't critique. I think that's appropriate for this kind of class. There were times when I would mentally edit others' pieces--minor changes--the stories were all good. The class was talented. 

The big thing this week--today--was a celebration of my mother's life. She died in January and was cremated. I didn't want to have an event in January because of potential snow/ice issues for family members traveling to Connecticut from New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Another reason I picked today was because it's an ACT test day. I knew I could take the day off without any problems.

Our celebration ran from 12 to 3 this afternoon. Last night I got nervous. Was the room big enough? Would there be too many other guests in our area? How many people would come?

All went well. We had 21-23 people (I keep re-counting; I'm not sure.) Several people told me I did a good job. The room was just large enough; the food was good. We started with some appetizers and then asked everyone to order off the menu.

We all discussed that we shouldn't wait until a death to get in contact. We committed to be in closer touch but I know it will be hard. Hopefully, we'll all work on this.  

It was a tough weekend for Lola. We were out last night, this afternoon, and again this evening. That's unusual for us. We took her out to Mathews and Oyster Shell Parks this morning for a 45 minute walk. This afternoon before we went out to dinner with my stepbrother and his wife we took Lola for a long walk around the neighborhood--probably our longest. 

Good-bye Mom. I hope you're happy with what we did today.


No comments:

Post a Comment