Thursday, September 12, 2019

The State of the Estate

Yesterday I signed accounting paperwork for my mother's estate. I thought I was at the end of the road. It's more accurate to say it's the beginning of the end. The paperwork will be sent to the probate court. The court will send the information to the will's beneficiaries who have a few weeks in which they can request a hearing. 

In our lawyer's experience, no one has requested a hearing. I have a selfish, litigious nephew, so I don't know. A hearing will delay the distribution of the proceeds, so there's that. In addition, I contributed money to the estate that I could have claimed as mine, because the bank accounts were in my mother's and my name. My mother intended the monies would be shared. I doubt my nephew would have honored my mother's wishes if it had been up to him. 

I'll be glad when this is all over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment