Monday, August 31, 2020

Along the Trail: New Canaan Nature Center

Yesterday was beautiful: temps in the 70's, sunny, with low humidity. I wanted to go somewhere different with Lola and decided on New Canaan Nature Center.  We had been there once before for New Canaan Dog Days. I'm now on their email mailing list, and an email said that the trails were open.

I had forgotten to check the address before we left, but I know the road it's on. What I didn't know was that the sign had been taken down. I drove past it and went a mile or so out of my way. Jeff checked his phone and found the address. I drove by it again because no sign. We found the entryway on our third pass. 

I was surprised by how many other people were there: two kids on bikes, pairs of walkers, and many with dogs. The first path led us to an exit to a road. Along the way we saw this artwork:


Other trails kept looped around fields and woods at the Nature Center. We walked there about an hour. I took a quick look at the Birds of Prey. I had seen in an email that there is a red-shouldered hawk there. I think I saw one, but the cage labeled red-shouldered hawk was empty. An adjacent cage could have held that hawk but was unlabeled. I tried to compare it to my picture, but couldn't be sure.



I didn't think to take a photo of the hawk at the Nature Center. D'oh. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment