Monday, December 7, 2020

Time and Christmases Past and Present

Last week was odd, because it passed so quickly. I felt like I missed a day. Usually on Wednesday, I think it's Thursday. Last week, I thought it was Wednesday, when it was Thursday. I brought up all the Christmas decorations, except for one of the artificial trees (I think on Thursday.) As I went through the boxes of materials (ornaments, wrapping papers, bags, gift tags, and other decorations) Jeff put together the Christmas tree and placed it on the coffee table. We later moved the coffee table next to the window. It's a good height for the tree.

Yesterday, I put out some of the other decorations out (trees, photos. candles. miscellaneous.) We still have more decorating to do, including finishing the tree.

This will be the first Christmas with just Jeff and me (and Lola.) We had always spent at least part of the day with family members. Sometimes we stayed overnight with relatives in Hilton Head, Saint Simons, Ridgefield, Waccabuc, and Cornelius. Two years ago, I wrote that Jeff and I will have to make new traditions.

The time is now. 

We'll resurrect our tradition from our first few Christmases together: Christmas breakfast. It's scrambled eggs with cheese, vegetables, and bacon, over crumbled bread baked in the oven. I think I added the veggies and cheese. One version of the recipe was with eggnog. I tried that once, and it was horrible. 

One of Jeff's family traditions was a steak dinner on Christmas Eve. (That beats the Coll tradition of decorating the Christmas tree and eating pancakes for dinner.) Jeff and I will have steak, creamed spinach, and au gratin potatoes. We haven't decided about Christmas day dinner, but I don't think pancakes is a viable option.

No comments:

Post a Comment