Wednesday, December 9, 2020

What We've Been Watching on TV

Fargo Season Four: I have mixed feelings about this season. I was intrigued by the set-up of the two reigning crime families exchanging their youngest sons as collateral. There were interesting characters: Doctor Senator, Ethelrida Smutny, and Rabbi Milligan. It was hard to keep track of the many characters, and I didn't like the focus on Oraetta Mayflower. The character didn't really work as a big bad villain, and her quirkiness wasn't entertaining. 

By the end of the season, all I wanted was for Ethelrita and Satchel Cannon (the last exchanged son--who was from the black mob) to be safe. They were. The show revealed that Satchel ended up as Mike Milligan from Season Two (my favorite season.) It was unclear what Ethelrita's fate would be, though I'm sure she would be successful.

I enjoyed the show, though Seasons One and Two were far superior to Seasons Three and Four. Season Two is my favorite. 

The Haunting of Bly Manor: This was billed as a sequel to The Haunting of Hill House, which we liked. It's not a sequel as much as an anthology. The story was loosely based on The Turn of the Screw, which I read in college. In college, we discussed whether the ghosts were real or a figment of the imagination of the governess. We discussed how the film The Turn of the Screw aka The Innocents played it as the innocent governess plagued by ghosts, as did this version. I liked the non-linear story telling though it was a bit confusing.

Tonight we watched The Turning. The ending was so abrupt, I thought I missed something. I had to read comments on IMDB and the Wikipedia entry to figure out what happened--not good story telling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment