Friday, April 16, 2021

The Great Lie 1941

TCM was showing this film as part of its 31 Days of Oscar: Mary Astor won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her portrayal of Sandra Kovak. 

The script is pure soap. Astor and Bette Davis (Maggie) worked together to re-write parts of the script to improve it. I can only imagine how soapy the original was.

I've seen this movie several times, and it's not a favorite, so I usually don't record it. This time I did, and I'm glad. For one thing, I had forgotten the beginning. Sandra's maid (Doris Lloyd) is quite funny as she looks over the trashed apartment after a wild party/bender during which Sandra marries Pete (George Brent.) She says something like I'm only getting $14 a week. 

I had also forgotten that Grant Mitchell (Sandra's manager) and Jerome Cowan (Pete's lawyer) are in this movie. 

Sandra had some good lines in her scenes with Maggie: "Who ever heard of an ounce of brandy?" Another line: "I'm not one of you anemic creatures who can get nourishment from a lettuce leaf."

I've written about this film and one annoying scene before. That scene bugged me this time as well, but the scene with Sandra's maid helped me forget about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment