Friday, April 2, 2021

Book Eight: The Wars of the Roses by Dan Jones

 Subtitled: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors

This is the second book of the same name that I read this month.

This book didn't go into as much detail as Alison Weir's. In Weir's book, I felt that I knew some of the people much better, especially Richard, Duke of York (father of Edward IV and Richard III.)

I liked the framing that Jones used: both the introduction and epilogue referenced the butchered execution of Margaret Pole, one of the last Plantagenets.

Both emphasized how the inept reign of Henry VI made the setting ripe for rebellion. Weir said the deposition of Richard II was a precedent.

I want to read more about Richard III and the princes in the tower. My next books from the library, however, are strictly Tudor tales. 

No comments:

Post a Comment