Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Thoughts on Sleeping Beauty

For this Monday's writing class, our homework was to select a fairy tale character and write a story about that person 10 years later. I immediately know I would write about Sleeping Beauty.

For as long as I can remember, Sleeping Beauty was my favorite fairy tale. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Disney film came out when I was four years old. My parents told me I played Sleeping Beauty sitting under our drop leaf table calling for Prince Phillip (my father) to save me.

As I got older, I was bothered that my favorite fairy tale was about such a passive character. But I still liked the story, even if it is problematical. Here's an interesting take.

I liked that the princess has a real name: Aurora. She even had an alias: Briar Rose. I liked that the prince had a real name, not something corny like Charming. Of course, Maleficent was an incredible villain. She even morphed into a dragon. Luckily a dragon was no match for love and magic. 

It was fun to write about Aurora and Phillip. In my story, Aurora suffered from PCSD (post curse stress disorder) and couldn't sleep. Sounds natural to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment