Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Deadwood Re-Watch

Jeff and I were big fans of Deadwood when in originally aired in 2004--2006 and bought the DVD's for all three seasons.  We were happy when the movie finally came out in 2019. We recorded it but didn't watch it until recently. I was afraid I wouldn't remember some of the characters and plot lines. After much procrastination, we finally started to re-watch the series this January followed by the movie. 

Deadwood is unlike any western I've ever seen. It's dirt under the fingernails gritty, mud in the streets grimy. The characters are desperados, dreamers, opportunists, professionals, prospectors, prostitutes, and salesmen. None are stereotypes--the characters are rich and multi-layered.

The dialogue is brilliant--like Shakespeare if he used "cocksucker" and "fuck" liberally. The stories are compelling. The acting is superb. Re-watching the series reminded me of just how good it was. 

I need to re-watch the movie a few times. 

Bonus: in a recent writing class, our assignment was to write an origin story for a famous pair. Nan wrote about the partnership of Al Swearengen and Dan Dority in the Deadwood camp. I loved hearing her story, and it was great to find another Deadwood fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment