Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Book Eight: A Fall of Marigolds by Nancy Meissner

I think I first heard about this book from Modern Mrs. Darcy and a list of historical fiction. A scarf with marigolds links two stories a century apart: a survivor of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire who is mourning the loss of a man she believed she would love and marry and a survivor of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center who is mourning her husband. To add to the women's guilt, both men died because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time because of plans to meet the women.

I liked Clara's story from 1911 but couldn't get into Taryn's 2011 story. I was also ambivalent about Meissner's writing. While I admired some of it, it seemed that sometimes Meissner was trying too hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment