Thursday, March 31, 2022

Canine Health Report

I don't want to write this post--it may take me a few tries to finish it. About two weeks ago, Jeff and I learned that Lola is in kidney failure and has up to three months to live. We knew she had kidney disease and that she had a heart murmur. Lola had started some unusual behavior--growling, peeing inside, seeming confused. 

We've worked through the worst symptoms. Lola hasn't peed in the house for about two weeks. I am very alert to her movements and take her out often. For a while, I slept in sweat pants and a t-shirt so I could move quickly if she woke up in the middle of the night. She hasn't growled at us recently, and she doesn't seem as confused. 

Of course, that doesn't change her diagnosis; it just makes things a little easier to deal with. The vet gave us a form--a quality of life assessment with a series of questions with point values. Lola is rated as a mild decrease in quality of life. 

Caring for Lola has always been a priority for me--now it's become my top priority. We want to make her last days as good as possible. I'm happy that it's spring--it will be nicer for walks and park visits. 

We love our Lola. 

No comments:

Post a Comment