Thursday, February 1, 2024

Walking the Dog--Jace Edition

I was talking with someone whose dog had recently died. She was saying how freeing it was to not have to take her dog on walks. She also suggested we move to a place with a nice back yard so I wouldn't have to walk Jace at all. 

Walking Jace is one of my jobs. And walking Jace is a priority. It may not be the first thing I do each day, but it has to be done (multiple times) each day. Of course, there are days when I hate the idea of even going outside, especially when the weather is bad or I'm not feeling well. But, that's the deal.

Luckily, I like walking; it's a great form of exercise. I like feeling that I'm part of the neighborhood; I don't get that by driving around.. I like that people recognize us and wave or say hi. Most of all, I like meeting other dogs.

I also like that I'm doing something good for myself by walking. About two years ago, a bone scan indicated that I have a 25 percent change of sustaining a broken bone. Walking can help slow bone loss in the legs. 

It may sound corny and cliched, but a positive attitude really helps here. I know Jace loves his walks; I get some time with him; it's good for me. I even enjoy them myself...most of the time. Now, after two weeks of clouds, rain, an\ fog, I'm looking forward to seeing the sun again on our walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment