Monday, February 26, 2024

What We've Been Watching--Part One

The Fall of the House of Usher--we watched this back in November or December. I thought I had already posted about it, but I had only written about the Vincent Price version. The mini-series by Mike Flanagan modernizes Edgar Allan Poe's story and includes elements from other Poe works. I liked that the Ushers ran a pharmaceutical firm manufacturing and selling a highly addictive opioid that wasn't supposed to be addictive a la the Sacklers. I was especially impressed with Bruce Greenwood's performance as Roderick Usher, especially because he was a late replacement for Frank Langella. 

Breaking Bad and El Camino--it took us a long time to watch this--not hard to understand because the series ran for five seasons. It didn't sound like anything I would want to watch--a frustrated high school chemistry teacher is diagnosed with lung cancer and begins to manufacture and deal meth. But the characters were compelling, the stories were addictive, and the actors were brilliant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment