Monday, January 14, 2013

A Work in Progress

That's how I described myself to myself one morning last week when I just didn't want to get up.

Perhaps a little context will help.

One of my recent goals is to get up at 7 am when I don't need to get up. It's a relatively easy goal but I'm already having issues.

My dilemma: how do I decide what goals to make for myself? Do I really have to do them now?

The second question is easier. The beginning of the year, whether it's January, May (my birthday) or September (the school year) seems like a logical place to start.

But back to my first question...I don't want to make my goals too easy--I want to stretch. But, if my dreams are too tough--I may quit before I even get started. I think that's why many resolutions fail--they are too big and people don't know how to break them down into manageable steps.

I can't decide where I want to go until I assess where I am.

2012 accomplishments:

I got a raise. I also attempted to supplement my income with new projects. I made a few bucks but overall these projects weren't successful. Making more money remains a goal. I need to break it down and then take some actions.

I did more writing in 2012 than I did in 2011. I wrote over one hundred more blogposts. I started two stories (possibly novels?) and a memoir piece on the Jersey shore. It's not much, but it is a start. I continue to journal daily and read some of old journals which gave me some ideas or more accurately reinvigorated some ideas.

More on this in a future post.



No comments:

Post a Comment