Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lola Lane's Torchy Blane

Last Saturday, TCM showed the fifth of nine Torchy Blane films, Torchy Blane in Panama. This was the first without Glenda Farrell and Barton MacLane. According to TCM host Ben Mankiewicz, this movie flopped because people wanted Glenda back.

I have to agree. There's something missing in Lane's portrayal. I can't put my finger on it. I like Lola Lane; she has one of my favorite lines from Marked Woman, "They found him in a ditch full of slugs." But she just isn't Torchy to me. I even miss Barton MacLane.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Torchy was the model for Lois Lane. It was Lola Lane who inspired the name.

Torchy is going on hiatus during TCM's annual February homage to the Oscars. I'll have to wait until March 9th before Torchy Gets Her Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment