Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day

I got up earlier than I expected, before nine. Spike and I went out for our walk round 10. It's funny how we communicate with only a look. Spike came to live with us when he was just over a year old. He was already trained (I hate the term housebroken.) He would scratch at the door when he needed to go out.

Over our ten years together, we've gotten used to each other and have learned our routines. Many evenings we'll find Spike sitting by the door when he wants to go out. Now that we have hardwood floors, he doesn't scratch but we hear his nails on the floors. Also, he can look at me and I know when he wants to go out.

That's what happened this morning. I figured I would take a quick shower before I took Spike out, but he looked at me and stretched his front legs. I knew he wanted to go out. Yes, I am well-trained.

We met a woman and a cute dog this morning. I didn't recognize the breed of the dog--his ears resembled those of a papillon but the coloring looked like that of an Australian Shepherd. It was a toy Australian Shepherd--I didn't even know the breed existed.

The woman said it was a beautiful day. I didn't agree; it was darker than normal--overcast. But it was quiet and I guess the calm was beautiful.

I didn't see the sun until Jeff, Spike and I went to the dog park around three. Snow still covered most of the park, but there were areas of grass, dirt and mud. We ran into Bill and Bo, and did two loops around the park with them.

Today is a holiday--the beginning and the end of things. I need to think about how that applies to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment