Wednesday, January 2, 2013

In Celebration of Nancy Drew

This morning I looked through the movies available on HBO on Demand and decided to watch Nancy Drew, the 2007 version starring Emma Roberts. It's a cute, fun movie. In this version, Nancy is a bit of an outcast in her knee socks and penny loafers at a LA High School, but she wins everyone over by the end of the film.

I loved the Nancy Drew mysteries. I even belonged to a book club and got a new book each month. In many ways, she was an inspiration. Nancy was smart, brave and resourceful and led a life rich in adventures. Among her fans are Supreme Court Justices Sandra Day O'Connor, Ruth Bader Gisnberg and Sonia Sotomayor.

I read other mystery series: the Dana Girls, Judy Bolton, Trixie Belden. I don't remember much about the Dana Girls except one title I liked, By the Light of the Study Lamp. I re-read a few Judy Bolton mysteries a few years ago and they didn't hold up. The Trixie Belden stories did. Trixie is a much more realistic heroine than Nancy; griping about chores and babysitting her little brother.

As far as I know, only Nancy was immortalized on the big and the small screens.I was also a fan of the 1930's Nancy Drew films starring Bonita Granville.Like the Emma Roberts version, these films were comedies, but they were screwball comedies. Granville's Nancy bears only a slight resemblance to book Nancy.

Today I found the two Nancy Drew TV series in the watch instantly section of  Netflix. I'm curious to see how they depict Nancy.

Here's a six-word story I wrote about Nancy:

Nancy Drew, childhood hero of Supremes.

No comments:

Post a Comment