Tuesday, October 22, 2019

The State of the Estate: The Hearing

My nephew waited until the last day to request a hearing from the probate court. He didn't have to show any kind of reason to request a hearing, so we didn't know what to expect. Last night, I reviewed a list of expenses and documents I had to complete for my mother's long term care insurance.

He handed the judge a copy of a letter he wrote back in May requesting a complete accounting of everything my mother did financially from 2014 to 2019 that would "impact the beneficiaries" of her estate.

Every dollar she spent would, of course, impact the beneficiaries of her estate. Was she supposed to live in a shack or forgo medical treatment just to preserve her estate?

The judge told him this was outside the purview of the probate court (not in those exact words.) Probate is only concerned with the time after death.

I thought he would have researched this. Apparently not.

No comments:

Post a Comment