Friday, October 11, 2019

Wedding Getaway: The Wineries

Here is one of my worst frustrations about this trip. About two months before the wedding, I was looking online and found a great brochure that listed antique places, hiking trails, distilleries, wineries, breweries, and cideries in the Hudson Valley. I had planned to compare it to a county map to figure out what would be reasonable to visit. 

Unfortunately, I didn't download it or print it when I first saw it. I could never find it again. The things I did find were limited (a list of antique places) or unable to download. I figured I would find lots of brochures and maps once I got into the area. That was not the case until we were headed home. 

We decided to take Route 9W home; Jeff remembered reading about wineries on this road. After passing through Catskill, we drove through sparsely populated areas, by abandoned industrial sites, and through Saugerties for what seemed like hours. Then I saw a sign for El Paso Winery (Funny name for a winery in New York.) There was a deck off the tasting room. It would have been nice to have a glass of wine and maybe some cheese out there. Unfortunately, the winery wasn't dog friendly, and it was too hot to leave Lola in the car. Jeff and I separately tasted two wines each, and I bought a bottle of the peach sangria. 

We pulled into a second winery whose name escapes me, but it was closed for a wedding. Too bad, it looked very nice. Someone told us about a cidery down the road, but we didn't see anything. Later I saw a sign for a distillery. It must have been the place to turn, because I never saw another sign. 

Our next stop was Kedem Winery. I was concerned its wines would be sweet, but it offered several wines from around the world. We bought a few bottles of Israeli wine.

Shortly after Kedem, we decided against a visit to another winery and continued south. Jeff wanted to try one more winery. A circuitous route led us to Palaia Vineyards. Some kind of music event was going on. Palaia also has a restaurant, but we were able to sit outside with Lola to taste some wines. Lola attracted attention from some passersby, including a woman whose son lives in Norwalk and goes to Taylor Farm. 

We left Palaia and continued home to end our getaway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment