Monday, April 6, 2020

Saturday Movie Night: Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

When I first heard about this movie, I thought it was about the Manson murders of Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, Wojciech Frykowski, Abigail Folger, and Steven Parent. Quentin Tarantino's films are generally quite violent. I didn't want to watch these horrible, brutal murders.

It ended up that the film wasn't about the murders at all. In fact, in the film's alternate reality, those murders didn't take place. The film focused on an actor and a stunt man who have seen better days.

I liked this movie much more than I expected.

I knew I would love the soundtrack: a lot of Paul Revere and the Raiders, with some Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, and Otis Redding. I especially liked hearing "Son of a Lovin' Man" by the Buchanan Brothers; I thought I was the only one who remembered that song. Then there were those strains/riffs/notes from the Vanilla Fudge version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On;" I recognized those immediately.

Best of all: the supporting performance of Brandy the pit bull who saves the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment