Thursday, April 2, 2020

TCM Movie Night: You Can't Get Away with Murder (1939)

I checked out the TCM line-up today and saw this film with Humphrey Bogart, Billy Halop, and Gale Page. All three starred in 1938's Crime School, a remake of a Jimmy Cagney movie The Mayor of Hell with Frankie Darro. I love my Warner Brothers crime films.

So today I watched You Can't Get Away with Murder. Of course, I liked it: I love my Warner Brothers crime films.

Humphrey Bogart is always good even in a film where he has to fight an octopus. Billy Halop does well as the good kid caught in a bad situation. Gale Page is okay; she's never made much of an impression on me. I enjoyed seeing Henry Travers as Doc, John Litel as a lawyer (he only has one scene) and Joe Sawyer as an inmate. 

I remember John Litel mostly as a lawyer, including Carson Drew in the Bonita Granville Nancy Drew films. Off the top of my head, I only remember one non-lawyer role as a truck driver in They Drive by Night also with Bogart. He was in many other Warners films. Joe Sawyer also acted in many Warners films including The Petrified Forest starring Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart. He was memorable in The Killing in 1956.

I enjoyed You Can't Get Away with Murder. It's not a great film, by any means. The story is jut okay, but the acting is good, and it's fun for Warners films' fans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment