Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Shopping with the Oldies

For the past three weeks, I've been taking advantage of senior-only shopping in the early morning hours. It's not easy getting up so early, but I like that the stores are relatively uncrowded.

Most of the time the stores don't have toilet paper (but one did today!) or disinfectant wipes. They've been sometimes been low on chicken and meats. So far, I haven't had any trouble getting fresh fruits and vegetables.

I've been watching what things aren't available each week. A few weeks ago, I couldn't find any canned beans except a large can of small white beans. That inspired me to make a white bean sausage soup. For the past two weeks, I couldn't find lemon juice in two stores. I don't get that: did some quack say lemon juice can cure coronavirus?

I'm lucky to have two superstores right across the street from each other. By the time, I got to the second store, senior hours were over.  At the second, I found lentils, better looking broccoli, and toilet paper that I couldn't find in the first. Still no lemon juice.  I grabbed a small basket for the few things I was hoping to find. It was big enough until I saw the 20-roll toilet paper. I really don't need tp, but I remembered all the times there was none and the stress I felt. I struggled to juggle the tp along with the things in my basket as I waited in a long line for self-cashier kiosk. There were only two cashiers in the second store and only a few self-serve options.

I guess I better get up even earlier.

PS The title of this post was inspired by Sweatin to the Oldies.

No comments:

Post a Comment