Saturday, May 9, 2020

Life Under Sheltering

A more dramatic title for this post would be life under lockdown or in quarantine. Some people are under lockdown in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. That is not our experience; we're sheltering

I go somewhere almost every day to parks or trails with Lola. These walks provide some both physical and mental exercise. Some days just being outside is enough to make me happy. Norwalk parks have been closed to vehicles. We're lucky to be able to walk to three local parks or drive to parks in Wilton and Westport (although not in Greenwich.)

I can still shop. I guess ideal sheltering would be having everything delivered. Apparently new customers can't get grocery delivery because demand is so high. In truth, I kind of like going to the store to see specials, new items, etc. Shopping during senior hours isn't too bad.

This week I discovered Total Wine has senior hours 8 to 9 am Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I took advantage of that. I tried to exchange wine Jeff got by mistake. Like many stores, Total Wine isn't accepting returns, so we have to hold on to it for a while. I made a few impulse purchases: sake (we're planning to get sushi tomorrow night) and a few miniatures.

Every time I go out, I use hand sanitizer when I get back in my car. I wash my hands as soon as I get home.

The rest of the time I stay home. I miss going places, but I never run out of things to do. There are always chores: cleaning, cooking, organizing, and de-cluttering. More enjoyable activities are reading, writing, watching films or TV, making artist trading cards and art journals.

Jeff is working full time, so we have a natural break between weekdays and weekends. Otherwise, I might be very confused.

Things are or will be opening up soon here in Connecticut. Most Norwalk parks reopened to vehicles today, including Taylor Farm and Oyster Shell.

We just have to play it by ear for now. Go slowly and carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment