Sunday, November 29, 2020

Thoughts about Leslie Van Houten

Today I read the news that California Governor Gavin Newsom has reversed parole for Leslie Van Houten. This is the fourth time a governor has blocked her release

It's strange that I read this just after I watched Charlie Says the other night, which focuses on Leslie.  It's been a while since I read about the murders, but the movie seemed to downplay her role in the LaBianca murders. It appears that Leslie stabs Rosemary Labianca after she is already dead, although she does so with glee.

There's a scene in the movie when Charlie rebukes Leslie because she slept with a visiting biker without his permission. The biker later returns with a few friends to give Leslie a way out. She refuses to go, but later in prison imagines that she left with him. A poignant moment, but she stayed after all. 

Leslie Van Houten along with other members of the Manson Family was sentenced to death. Her sentence was overturned when California abolished the death penalty. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I believe in sentencing people to life without parole or life and a day. No one who had previously been sentenced to death should be able to get parole. 

I don't believe that Van Houten poses an unreasonable danger to society if she is released from prison, but I believe she should remain in prison for the rest of her life. I don't believe she will ever be granted parole and should just honor the victims' families by not making them relive the horror once again with every parole hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment