Monday, May 24, 2021

Transitions

There are certain times of year that are ripe for transition: New Year's Days, the starts of new school years, birthdays, and anniversaries.

I'm dealing with several transitions. The most shallow is the transition from winter to summer clothes. With temperatures flirting with the 90's last weekend,  I finally put my winter boots and shoes in storage under the bed. I moved summer clothes from the second to the master bedroom, and winter clothes in the reverse direction. 

I tried on several skirts and pairs of pants and bagged a few for Goodwill. I chose a skirt and blouse to wear for my birthday dinner. I even gave myself a pedicure, but I didn't have polish and my buffer didn't work well. At least my feet were improved. 

I got my car washed after (I think) a year and a half. My usual carwash still isn't offering interior cleaning, which my car really needed. The next day I went to another carwash for an interior wash. They didn't get out all of the dust and Lola's hair, but the car looked much better. By today, the car is covered in pollen and bird droppings. Maybe that's why I don't wash my car all that often. 

Onto more important transitions: Jeff and I have noticed that Lola is slowing down, becoming more lethargic, napping more frequently. We think Lola is 10, so we thought age was just slowing her down. Unfortunately, it's more serious than that. Her heart murmur is louder, and she had more toxins in her kidneys. We're dealing with the heart murmur first.

I'm officially unemployed/retired from test prep teaching/tutoring now. I haven't written about it here, but have been journaling about it, and I'm still processing it. I didn't want to tutor online because the platform didn't offer face-to-face interaction with students. I didn't think I could be effective. After a year not teaching, I would have to be retrained and rehired. I said forget it. I can go on full Social Security in a few months. It's a big change. 

One day recently, I woke up and thought about my day, and asked is this the rest of my life?

As I wrote in a recent post, I need to decide on what writing I want to focus. Figure out where I'm going to write, as well as what I'm going to write. 

This is my chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment