Monday, February 7, 2022

Art Journaling

I wasn't sure how long it had been since I last posted here. I opened this page and wondered just what have I been doing since I last posted. 

Since I tracked my time last week, I could easily find out. Based on a quick look t my excel spreadsheet, I spent a lot of time watching TV, doing word puzzles, exercising, and cleaning. 

I also spent about five-and-a-half hours working on my art journal. Most of that time was also spent watching TV, but I'm glad I finally worked/played on the journal. I've been frustrated because I don't have a good workspace. Some art journalists say you can work anywhere, in any corner, etc. I worked in the living room on a tray table covered in a cheap plastic tablecloth. I pulled some clipping folders from my file box in the second bedroom closet. I didn't use any paint this time. I especially liked two of the pages. I had pasted an ad with a sophisticated woman in a black dress walking against a backdrop of city scenes. I colored in some of the buildings and advertisements, the woman's pocketbook, and a pair of swans. I added some embellishments including a heart, a cross, and a Mary medal. On another page, I pasted photos of Tsar Nicholas II, his family, and some Russian peasants on a gold foil paper. I apparently didn't use the right kind of glue, but I liked my idea.

I first learned about art journaling from someone at a writer's retreat (I had earlier learned about artist trading cards from people in the same writing group.) I've kept the Art Journaling magazines I've bought over the years  and re-read them often, seeing new things each time. Jeff got me a two-year subscription for Christmas, but I haven't received an issue yet. I'm looking forward to that. 

I need to give myself a gift of time to play more in my journal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment