Thursday, February 24, 2022

Book Seven: Triangle by Katharine Weber

I liked this book, but I have a but. The story begins with a transcript of survivor Esther Gottesfeld's recollections of the Triangle Factory Fire. The second chapter jumps to George Botkin and his musical career. I was thinking what happened? Did I miss something? I knew who George was from the book cover's description, but I didn't like the way he took over the narrative. 

After I finished the book this afternoon, I googled the book and author. Some critics thought that there was too much George, but the author disagreed. George is a fascinating character, but I feel he belongs in another book. I would have preferred less of a focus on George.

Of course, Triangle was never intended to be a narrative of the fire. Instead it focuses on story telling--what is said, what is heard, and what is remembered as history. I'll be thinking about it for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment