Saturday, February 12, 2022

Book Five: Emma by Jane Austen

While I liked this book, I wanted to like it more than I did. I guess it's more accurate to say I thought I would like it more than I did. 

It's slow-moving. I realize that books written in the 19th Century were written in a different style for a different kind of reader, but Emma has a slower pace than either Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. Emma was too snobbish for me to really like her, though she is clearly a product of her society and is at least genteel in her snobbery. 

This is the third novel in my Jane Austen volume. I have previously read Northanger Abbey in college; I don't remember much about it, but I do remember liking it. I may re-read that and pick up Austen's other books Mansfield Park and Persuasion. But other books call first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment