Sunday, February 27, 2022

Friday Film: Nightmare Alley (2021)

I was glad to catch this movie after recently seeing another film version of William Lindsay Gresham's novel. This version, directed by Guillermo Del Toro, is truer to the novel with its downbeat ending. It's beautifully shot and all of the details of costumes and props look authentic to the time and to the characters. 

I liked learning details of the carny life along with Stan (Bradley Cooper in the role played by Tyrone Power in the 1947 film) such as how to make a geek and how to use the code in the mindreading scam. Stan's a natural--his cold reading of a policeman keeps the carnival from being closed down and he makes Molly's electrocution gag look more realistic.

The cast is terrific: I especially liked David Strathairn as Pete Krumbein.

I have this film recorded and started a re-watch this morning. I wish I also had the original to re-watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment