Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Book 10: My Thoughts be Bloody by Nora Titone

The Bitter Rivalry Between Edwin and John Wilkes Booth that Led to an American Tragedy

In a writing class last spring, our assignment was to write about a theater ghost. I knew John Wilkes Booth was from an acting family; the idea of his father haunting a theater appealed to me. After doing some research, I realized that the real story was about Edwin Booth, John's older brother who was an acclaimed actor. 

That bit of research led me to my latest book selection; I had added it to my TBR (to be read) list and bought it this winter. It's another well-written, meticulously researched book using family correspondence, playbills, and theater reviews as well as rare books and manuscript archives.

As I read this book, I kept thinking about my father. I would have loved to have discussed it with him. Unfortunately, he died around the time Doris Kearns Goodwin wrote the Foreword.

No comments:

Post a Comment