Sunday, February 26, 2023

Book Eight: An Imperfect Spy by Amanda Cross

This book was a recent library sale purchase and a quick read at only 228 pages. It helped that my computer froze last night so I was too frustrated to write a post, and I couldn't go to sleep.

Amateur detective and literature professor Kate Fansler and her attorney husband Reed Amhearst are both teaching a semester at Schuyler Law School. In addition to her teaching duties, Kate finds herself investigating the death of the school's only tenured woman professor. 

I didn't like this book. Harriet, a woman Kate met only briefly, breaks into her and Reed's apartment. Kate and Reed not only don't kick her out, but serve her scotch, and treat her as a friend and ally during the course of the book (she happens to run the secretarial room at Schuyler.) Harriet also seems obsessed with drinking their good scotch. 

I also didn't buy that a law student would punch out a professor simply because he didn't like the professor's and Kate's course on law and literature. 

I've never been as big a fan of Kate as I am of  Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone. I usually enjoy Kate's mysteries. I'm disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment