Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Book 27: The Sisters The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell

Years ago, I read a reference to the Mitford sisters--I think it was a book review in Ingenue magazine, which I'll remember forever for introducing me to I Capture the Castle. I'm not sure I would have heard of the Mitfords otherwise, except maybe for Jessica Mitford's book, The American Way of Death. 

It took me a while to get through this book. I didn't find the early years of the sisters all that interesting. Then we got into the thirties and forties. It was as if the sisters existed at a perfect place in a perfect time to capture an era: a Communist, a fascist, a novelist, a gentlewoman farmer, a duchess, and a friend of Hitler. 

It seems like the Mitfords are people my mother would have been interested in. But maybe she was a little young: graduated from high school in 1944. They would still make fascinating subjects for a mini-series.

No comments:

Post a Comment