Sunday, November 26, 2023

It's Never Too Late...

 ...to be thankful. 

We hand a nice Thanksgiving. My brother Jim and our friend Cynthia joined Jeff, Jace and me. As I previously said, I was organized. I even decided to make a special cocktail: a vodka gimlet with fresh lime juice. I made two drinks but planned to serve four mini drinks in cordial glasses shaped like mini-martini glasses. Jim wasn't interested, so more for the rest of us. 

I served shrimp cocktail and Boursin cheese with Trader Joe's pumpkin cranberry crackers as appetizers. Our dinner from Whole Foods consisted of turkey breast, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and green beans. I added Pillsbury crescent rolls. For dessert, we had pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. 

The only problem was that even though all the food had been defrosted (according to Whole Foods, it was chilled not frozen) the turkey and mashed potatoes took about twice as long as the instructions indicated. I took the stuffing and green beans out of the oven while the turkey and potatoes continued to cook. It was annoying, and I got teased about the delay, but we didn't really mind. 

After dinner, I took Jace for a short walk and then vegged on the couch after I found The Godfather on TV. 

Here's the list I might have made if I had posted on Thanksgiving night. 

What I'm thankful for:

1.    Jeff

We've had many heatlh challenges over the past few years, but we're still here and we still love each other.

2.    Jace

To be honest, there are times Jace wouldn't make this list. But he is fun and loving and sweet and loyal. And cute too. 

3.    Friends and Family

Sometimes it's hard to stay in contact with others. We all seem to get bogged down in our day-to-day bullshit. But the effort is well worth it.

4.    My Health

Seeing Jeff's health problems, as well as those of other friends, makes me appreciate how lucky I am to be healthy. It keeps me going to the gym too. 

5.    Our Home

Yes, it's true, I want to move out of our condo, out of Norwalk, out of Connecticut. But it's nice to have a place of our own with no mortgage. It's a good size for us in a good location.

6.    Good Weather (for the most part)

Most of the fall has been mild. As Fitzgerald said: "Life starts over again when it gets crisp in the fall." Already, many mornings are cold. I'll enjoy the crispness when I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment