Sunday, November 19, 2023

Countdown to Thanksgiving

When someone asked me if I'm cooking for Thanksgiving, I said, "I'm reheating." This will be our fourth year getting our dinner from Whole Foods. This year I'm picking up the food on Wednesday instead of Thursday to make sure the food is properly defrosted. Last year the meal was practically frozen and took too long to heat up. That's one stressor I can avoid.

We're having two guests: my brother Jim and our friend Cynthia. Both were scheduled for last year, but Cynthia got sick and had to cancel.

I'm very organized this year. I've already bought the items I need (except for the meal and shrimp which I pick up Wednesday afternoon.) I'm serving shrimp cocktail because it's one of Jim's favorites, and his birthday falls on Thanksgiving this year. I personally think it's overrated and kind of boring. But, whatever. I also have cheese with pumpkin and cranberry crackers. 

I've been in cleaning mode for a week: doing some work each day instead of one big cleaning binge. By Wednesday afternoon, I'll have washed the good china and glasses, sharpened the knives, selected pots, pans, and serving dishes, and set the table.

Sounds like a good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment