Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Great Bette Davis

I was in high school when I first became a fan of Bette Davis. I specifically remember my mother letting me cut school so I could watch The Letter on TV. Yes, back in the day before recording devices.

I was lucky to see Bette in person twice. She appeared in a program called Bette Davis In Person and On Film in Philadelphia in April 1974. The film clips included scenes of her movies from the thirties through the sixties: Of Human Bondage, Jezebel, Now Voyager, All About Eve, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? The "What a dump!" line from Beyond the Forest, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zShjyaTr8&feature=related, further immortalized in the Albee play, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVim5DUasyk. Bette then appeared on stage to answer questions.

Six months later, I saw Bette as Miss Moffatt. There were numerous problems with the play, a musical version of her film, The Corn in Green, before the production closed. As much as I love Bette, even I could see that she was not the best choice of musical lead. But it was great to see her perform live. I also liked the new setting of the school in the deep south. Dorian Harewood was a revelation--he had a powerful voice--like James Earl Jones singing.

Bette Davis was an incredible actress; I love to watch her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment