Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tutoring Time

My work as a SAT tutor is sporadic, geared around the seven times the SAT is administered each year. The busiest times are before the March (or April) and the October tests.

It's surprising that I will start three new tutorials this weekend. One student needs a little more work before the December test; another wants to focus on reading for the January test; the third is starting a full tutorial for January.

I'm happy for the work, especially at this time of year. I enjoy tutoring and I like the kids that I meet.

But I feel for them. I went to high school in a different time and place. The students I tutor are under so much pressure: AP classes, extracurricular activities, standardized tests. On the other hand, they are receiving a much better education than I did.

I wonder how I would stack up.

No comments:

Post a Comment