Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Responsible Adult

6:30 Monday morning, I took my mother to a surgical center for cataract surgery. I sat with her as she was prepped and later joined her in the recovery room. I read a sheet of after-care instructions that said someone (the responsible adult referenced in this post title) should stay with her for 24 hours. My mother reminded the nurse that she lives in a retirement community with access to assistance as needed, but the nurse still supported the original recommendation and even had me sign the after-care instructions.

It wasn't a problem for me to stay with my mother. I rescheduled a tutoring appointment and Jeff was able to bring up some clothes and toiletries for me. But I think it was hard for my mother to rely on me--she seemed to feel guilty that I had to re-arrange my schedule.

It's a weird change in our relationship. I wouldn't call it a role reversal--she doesn't want to give up decision-making and I don't want to take it on. I've helped her out (as I did on Monday) and we've discussed her major decisions. I hope that's all I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment