Monday, February 27, 2012

My Bad Patch

The other day when I was walking with Spike, I remembered a scene from the movie, Dolores Clairborne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Lkl-MouOg 

Bad patch--that's how I describe my past three weeks. That's also how Dolores described Selena's nervous breakdown. Now I'm not trying to obliquely say that I'm having a nervous breakdown or make light of nervous breakdowns. But I got thinking about the past few weeks. It was a bad patch for me--I lost my way.

I can pinpoint when it started. That Monday when I had to get up at 4:30 am to take my mother to her cataract surgery. My sleep was disrupted for a week. But it didn't end there.

I just couldn't get it back together. I couldn't pick up where I left off. Here I am three weeks later wondering just what happened to me.

I'm running through a bunch of suggestions and techniques I've heard over the years. Break the project into small pieces so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. Just commit to doing some task for a half hour. Take the first step. Just do it.

Unfortunately, all I want to do is go back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment