Friday, August 10, 2012

Packing

Tomorrow Jeff and I are headed up to Ridgefield to pet-sit for a week. We did the same thing a few weeks ago. It amazes me how much we packed for a week.

Last month we packed one large suitcase and a duffel bag with clothes, accessories and toiletries. We had a bag with fresh vegetables and fruit, a bag with Spike's food and bowls, Spike's bed, our laptops, my SAT books and files.

I've always over packed. I don't want to spend my vacation doing laundry or running out to buy band-aids or aspirin, etc. I like to be prepared. That's what I told the TSA agent who told me I had too many things. Context: we arrived early for a flight to Jacksonville, FL in December 2001. The agent carefully examined every item of my make-up bag. Then he realized that I had a separate bag of toiletries. He apparently didn't want to examine it as carefully as he did my make-up bag. Hence his comment.

Some of my over packing is strategic. I always take extra pairs of underwear, socks or pantyhose, and tee-shirts. They don't take up much room.

I've also gotten better at over packing--i.e. I don't over pack as much. I color-coordinate my clothes and shoes. I think about my options to do laundry or to purchase needed items.

This week I have access to a washer and dryer, various stores plus our home (we're only 45 minutes away.) But I'm still over packing. We're also taking some strategically selected dirty laundry.







No comments:

Post a Comment