Saturday, January 13, 2018

The Streak is Over

I've written before about my love of Spelling Bee, a game published in The New York Times Magazine. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I usually reach genius level.

When I first look at the puzzle, I find many words that don't count because they don't include the center letter. Then I'll find several words in spurts. I'll often put down the puzzle or hours or even days before I get to genius level.

I started last week's puzzle last Saturday. I picked it up a few more times over the week. One day I suddenly saw "mantilla." This morning (my last chance to increase my score) I found "inimical." Then I looked at the answers; I can't believe I missed mammal, mammy and llama. For the record: I scored 30 if "manana" counts. I needed 34 to be a genius.

This week's puzzle is waiting for me outside our front door. Time to start a new streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment