Sunday, April 22, 2018

At The Gym

I walked into the gym Wednesday morning and saw something strange. A woman was on one of the ab machines and her headgear was flashing. At first I wondered if it was some kind of advanced machine measuring brainwaves during exercise.

When I got closer I realized it was flashing headphones with what looked like pointed ears or horns over  a coonskin hat.

That was the weirdest thing I've seen at at the gym by far.

I like to go to the gym in the morning. I dress at home--t-shirt and leggings or shorts--no make-up, hair pulled back. I check out what others wear. I'm amazed at all the women in full make-up with jangly jewelry. I envy coordinated workout outfits. Several people wear heavy sweatpants and sweatshirts. I don't know how they can stand wearing all those clothes during a workout. I even hate wearing jewelry at the gym. I see a lot of UConn shirts. I was pleased to see a man in a University of Delaware sweatshirt--it gave me a feeling of camaraderie.

I also check out what people carry. I have a cosmetic bag with tissues, keys, my gym tag, lip balm, notebook and pencil to track my workouts. (If I didn't keep track, I'd think I worked out more often than I actually did.)  Some women carry larger bags. One guy has an 8 by 10 notebook with detailed accounts of his workout, and he also has a package of Vitamin C drops.

One of my goals for the year is to hit the gym 150 times--roughly three times a week. My personal best was 103 visits in 2016. So far this year, I've gone 32 times. If I were on track, I would have 50 visits by the end of April. I can still achieve my goal, but it will take approximately 15 visits a month for the rest of the year. I'll just say that's unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment