Saturday, April 14, 2018

Book Six: The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Interesting title.

I read this book on the recommendation of my sister-in-law. I believe my other sister-in-law and mother-in-law also read this.

I struggled through the book. There are two narrators--both are determined to hide their intellect, but feel superior to their neighbors in the hotel particulier.

I hated Paloma--the 12-year-old narrator--at first. She's a pretentious shit who knows so much more than anyone else that she plans to kill herself at age 13. Later I softened towards her.

Then there's Renee. A childhood trauma made her disguise herself into what she thinks others expect of a concierge. She was sympathetic, but annoying.

I didn't like the book at first. I gave myself 100 pages.Then I figured I should wait to the appearance of the Japanese man mentioned in the overleaf. At one point, I put the book down due to the glorification of grammar, especially the comma. Now I like grammar; I teach grammar, but the book was too much.

I kept going because I liked some things--the discussions about tea stands out.

I finished the book Friday morning, and cried at the end.

Am I glad I read it? I'd say yes, though my feelings are still mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment